Explanation and Documentation Required for Exemption Florida licensed physicians currently exempt from paying the assessment include:
- Resident physicians, assistant resident physicians, and interns in postgraduate training programs approved by the Board of Medicine (documentation of the dates of your program signed by the chair of your department must be provided to NICA);
- Retired physicians who maintain an active license but who have withdrawn from employment in any medically related field, as evidenced by an affidavit filed with NICA (a copy of this affidavit must be provided to the Florida Department of Health);
- Physicians who hold a limited license, as defined by Chapter 458, Florida Statutes, but do not receive any compensation for medical services (an affidavit must be provided to NICA stating that no compensation is received for medical services);
- Physicians employed full-time by the Veterans Administration whose practices are confined to Veterans Administration hospitals (a letter from your employer stating that you are a full-time employee, as well as an affidavit from you stating you are not engaged in the private practice of medicine, must be provided to NICA);
- Any licensed physician on active duty with the Armed Forces of the United States (a letter from your commanding officer stating that you are on active duty in the Armed Forces, as well as an affidavit from you stating that you are not engaged in the private practice of medicine, must be provided to NICA);
- Physicians who are full-time State of Florida employees and whose practice is confined to state-owned correctional facilities, mental health or developmental services facilities, or the Florida Department of Health or County Health Department (a letter from the state government documenting your employment status, as well as an affidavit from you stating that you are not engaged in outside employment, must be provided to NICA).
Proof of qualification for a claimed exemption must be furnished to NICA at P.O. Box 14567, Tallahassee, Florida 32317-4567. It is each physician’s obligation to notify NICA of a subsequent change in status with regard to a claimed exemption.